Wednesday 5 May 2010

Tiling and more floorboarding!

The tiling was done a couple of weeks ago but we didn’t have the right tools to do the grouting.  We finally bought the squeegee.  This weekend (end of April) whilst waiting for Will to work on the fiddly bits of floorboard I decided to do the grouting.  

Not having a measuring jug made it hard for me to work out what approx 370mL of water was to mix in with the 1.5L of grout powder.  Thank goodness Will had read on the packet that the consistency was meant to be like toothpaste.  I just kept adding water till it had that sort of consistency.  For a mixing tool I just used our paint edger tool which is totally bent out of shape. 

IMG_5155

Voila!  Done.  It was quick work in the end although I think next time I’d wear gloves as I ended up using my fingers to push the grout into the smaller hard to get to areas.  The corners sucked up heaps of grout and it felt like I kept shoving more and more grout it.  I pushed most of the corner areas in with the squeegee and used my finger/s to smooth things out.  It looks pretty good and similar to the professional job on the tiles below the feature tiles :)

IMG_5153

Again while waiting for some of the more difficult parts of the floorboards to be done I ended up cleaning the bathroom floor (sacrificed an old toothbrush to my cause).  Whilst you may not see the difference here it has made a huge difference to how I feel about the bathroom as I scraped off (mostly with a fingernail and then the toothbrush and then a scraper!) the excess paint bits which had fallen to the tiles. 

IMG_5179

As we left it on the Sunday… you can see some of the main living area is done but we are fast approaching the post which we’ll have to work out a way to cut around.  I had this really old (school days!) tool that was meant to help me draw curved lines (I think it was for the Maths elective torics?  geesh my memory is bad!).  Anyway we’ll be using that to draw the line on the floorboards as it will mould to the shape of the post… Let’s see how that will pan out. 

IMG_5178

To do the floorboards and lay the underlay meant we had to move the furniture (all one piece of it ;) ) and all the floorboards (all zillion boxes… ok so maybe it was only around 20 boxes?) to different parts of the house.  We had so much loaded on one side of the house it was starting to squeak when Will walked in the area!  That was it for that area and we started pushing boxes of boards to the kitchen floor instead.

Will is using his table saw in the photo below to create nice straight lines to start the ground floor and end the upstairs loft.  Nathan lent us the drop saw which is coming in real handy to complete the end bits of the floorboards.IMG_5157

We have another visitor.  These wallabies are pretty cute.  Batman also thinks it’s pretty cool to have such strange creatures on our land based on his carrying on! 

IMG_5175

No comments: